PUBLIC DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM
The goal of Public Distribution system (PDS) is to ensure food security to all Citizens particularly poor people by making available of essential commodities of good quality at affordable prices every month through Fair Price Shops (FPS) which is easily accessible.
Objectives of Public Distribution System
- Ensuring easy accessibility of Fair Price Shops by Cardholders
- Ensuring availability of Essential Commodities at the right time every month
- Protecting Citizens from ill effects of rise in price of essential Commodities, especially for the poorest who cannot withstand price escalation.
Activities of the Department
- Timely, controlled and well planned movement of essential commodities through route charts and momentary
- Reduction of leakages through system improvements, tightened enforcement and deterrent criminal actions.
- End to end computerized distribution activities like ePOS system, Biometric Authenticated distribution. Error free and Correct allotment and planned movement of essential commodities to Fair Price Shops through E-Governance.
Officers involved in PDS and their responsibilities
- District Supply and Consumer Protection Officer- Overall monitoring of the system through ST(Civil Supplies), Taluk Supply Officers, and Flying squad.
- Regional Manager, Tamil Nadu Civil Supplies Corporation- Procurement of quality essential commodities, Movement and Supply of those essential Commodities.
- Joint Registrar(Co-operative)- Running and governing Fair Price Shops through its Co-Operative Societies and distribution of essential commodities to public.
- Civil Supplies CID- Responsible for effective tightened enforcement and deterrent Criminal action against malpractices like smuggling and black marketing.Which includes initiating action against errant public whoinvolved in selling the essential commodities which is supplied to them instead of consuming personally were booked under 6A of Tamilnadu Essential Commodities act-1955
Fair Price Shops
In Ramanathapuram District 778 Fair Price Shops are operating as below.
|S.No.||FPS run by Agency||Part time||Full time||Total|
Family Card Types
|S.No.||Type of Card||Commodities entitled|
|1.||PHH||Rice(5kg Per member), Wheat, Sugar, Toordhall, Palmoil and Kerosene ( for “0” and Cylinder Card holders)|
|2.||PHH-AAY||Rice(35kg) , Wheat, Sugar, Toordhall, Palmoil and Kerosene (for “0” and “1” Cylinder Card holders)|
|3.||NPHH||Rice (One member 12kg, 4kg Per additional member with maximum limit of 20kg) , Wheat, Sugar, Toordhall, Palmoil and Kerosene(for “0” and “1” Cylinder Card holders )|
|4.||NPHH-S||All Commodities except rice.|
|5.||NPHH-NC||No Commodity Card|
- NPH – Non Priority Household Card
- PHH – Priority Household Card
- AAY – Anthyodya Anna Yojana Card
Note:As our District announced as Aspiration District, Fortified rice is being distributed to PHH and AAY card holders from December 2022 onwards.
Total Number of Cards as on November-2022
NPHH Cards- 1,57,862
PHH-AAY Cards- 40,636
How to Get a New Card or Make Corrections or Reprint a Card
Apply through E sevai center and online via www.tnpds.gov.in in person with required documents as below table.
|Service Type||Documents Needed and Eligibility Criteria|
|New Smart Card||
|Reprint of Smart Card||
Residents can make a call, register through web or send email seeking redressal of grievances. A State Level Toll free PDS Helpline is functional under short code 1967 and 1800-425-5901. Residents of Tamil Nadu can contact the said numbers for any queries / complaints / suggestions. Public can register a complaint through SMS ( By sending SMS “PDS 107” to 9773904050 from registered mobile number). Besides this public portal www.tnpds.gov.in has provisions for registering complaints on line. This has enabled to synchronize the complaint redressal mechanism as a single window system and the cardholders now find it easy to register their complaints / grievances and get remedy.
Tamil Nadu Food Security Rules-2017 mandates the conduct of Social Audit at least once a year in order to keep the public aware of the functioning of Public Distribution System, Fair Price Shops and their entitlements. Such social audit is being conducted on Republic day, October 2nd(Gandhi jayanthi), Independence day and any other specific dates on which State Government announces to conduct such Social audit . All records of Fair Price Shops are submitted before the Gramasabha on the day of Social Audit. The complaints received in Gramsabha are reported to the District Grievance Redressal Officer and the redressal details shall be informed to the Gramasabha within a week. The PHH and AAY beneficiaries list is also submitted before Gramasabha for approval. Thus the benefits of Public Distribution System reaches the Public is ensured.
Contact Details of department
|DISTRICT/TALUK||OFFICE||LANDLINE NUMBER||MOBILE NUMBER||EMAIL-ID|
|Ramanathapuram||District Revenue Officer, Collector Office Ramanathapuram.||04567-230610||9445000926||dro[dot]tnrmd[at]nic[dot]in|
|Ramanathapuram||District Supply and Consumer Protection Office,
Collector Office campus
|Ramanathapuram||Special Tahsildar (CS), Taluk Office, Ramanathapuram||–||9445000363||tsormd[dot]ramnad[at]tn[dot]gov[dot]in|
|Rameswaram||Taluk Supply Office, Taluk Office Complex, Rameswaram||–||9445000364||tsormd[dot]rameshwaram[at]tn[dot]gov[dot]in|
|Thiruvadanai||Taluk Supply Office, Taluk Office Complex, Thiruvadanai||–||9445000365||tsormd[dot]thiruvadanai[at]tn[dot]gov[dot]in|
|Paramakudi||Taluk Supply Office, Taluk Office Complex, Paramakudi||–||9445000366||tsormd[dot]paramakudi[at]tn[dot]gov[dot]in|
|Mudukulathur||Taluk Supply Office, Taluk Office Complex, Mudukulathur||–||9445000367||tsormd[dot]mudukulathur[at]tn[dot]gov[dot]in|
|Kadaladi||Taluk Supply Office, Taluk Office Complex, Kadaladi||–||9445000368||tsormd[dot]kadaladi[at]tn[dot]gov[dot]in|
|Kamuthi||Taluk Supply Office, Taluk Office Complex, Kamuthi||–||9445000369||tsormd[dot]kamuthi[at]tn[dot]gov[dot]in|